VMware introduced the provision of the migration device emigrate an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director service in November 2022.
This weblog will show the right way to carry out a migration of an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director service utilizing the migration device supplied by VMware, as defined within the documentation How Do I Migrate from On-premises VMware Cloud Director to VMware Cloud Director service by Utilizing the Migration Software.
An summary of the steps required is:
- Setup the necessities to run the migration device if this can be carried out from a Home windows machine
- Create a migration.properties file to learn into the migration device
- Run the migration device (obtain the newest model from https://github.com/vmware-samples/cloud-director-service-migration and extract to the host you’ll carry out the migration from
Earlier than operating the migration device, you will have to put in the required packages for Linux or on Home windows, use a shell corresponding to cygwin to run the device. The under directions show the migration device on Home windows utilizing cygwin. For a full record of the migration device necessities, see Migration Software Stipulations.
For cygwin set up curl, jq, zip, ssh, scp, sshpass, and md5sum.
Create a Migration Properties File
You shouldn’t have to create the migration.properties file to do a migration, nevertheless it makes it simpler to see the info in a file, and if you must rerun the script for any motive, you don’t should preserve retyping the identical info in.
For cygwin, within the default location when opening it, CD to /tmp and create the file known as migration.properties. File within the following keys and their corresponding values:
- SITE_NAME – that is the VMware Cloud Director web site title that can be migrated, corresponding to vcd-site1
- SITE_ADMIN_USERNAME – this is able to usually be the administrator account
- IS_APPLIANCE – tells the device whether or not the VMware Cloud Director is an equipment deployment
- CSP_ORG_ID – that is the lengthy org ID of your group within the VMware portal. For extra info on the right way to discover this info, see
- CSP_ORG_REFRESH_TOKEN – that is the token generated within the VMware portal to make use of for operating duties corresponding to associations, migrations, and different capabilities. For extra info, see How Do I Generate an API Token.
- CELL_USERNAME – this is able to usually be root
- DBHOST_USERNAME – this is able to usually be root
Right here is an instance of a migration.properties file stuffed out.
Notice that in case your VMware Cloud Director occasion just isn’t publicly accessible, corresponding to a lab occasion for dev/take a look at/UAT, you will have so as to add one extra line to the migration.properties file. The migration device connects to VCD to confirm the model earlier than making an attempt a migration and does so by connecting to the general public DNS title listed within the migration.properties file, so if it’s not publicly accessible, add the road under with the attainable values within the hyperlink. You’ll need to interchange model with the key model quantity being migrated, corresponding to 10.3, 10.4, and so forth.
Beneath is an instance of my stuffed out migration.properties file with UPGRADE_CATEGORY added because the VCD occasion just isn’t publicly accessible.
In the event you run the migration script and it fails for any motive previous the purpose the place it begins studying within the migration.properties file, you will have to open the properties file and re-add the road for UPGRADE_CATEGORY as will probably be eliminated.
As soon as the migration.properties file has been accomplished, put it aside and open your cygwin bash or which ever bash you might be utilizing. Navigate to the folder that the migration device was extracted to and run the script by operating ./migrate.sh.
The script will immediate you line by line to just accept the values that had been entered within the migration.properties file, or if the file doesn’t exist, you will have to manually enter the data when prompted.
- Migration properties file discovered, want to reuse. Enter y to learn within the entries from the properties file.
- On-prem VCD web site FQDN title (discovered: name_from_file). Enter y to make use of the worth from the properties file.
- On-prem VCD admin consumer title (discovered: admin_user). Enter y to make use of the worth from the properties file.
- Enter admin password for for on-prem VCD web site name_from_file. Enter the password for the admin account specified to connect with VCD.
- Is VCD name_from_file equipment primarily based? Enter y to specify it’s an equipment primarily based VCD.
- Username for cell name_from_file discovered. Enter y to make use of the consumer specified within the file.
- Enter password for cell name_from_file. Enter the password the account specified to connect with the VCD equipment.
- CSP ORG ID discovered csp_org_from_file. Enter y to make use of the org id specified within the file.
- CSP ORG refresh token discovered token_from_file. Enter y to make use of the CSP org token specified within the file.
- Enter CDI Title emigrate: This would be the title of the CDS occasion within the VMware portal. Enter the title you want the CDS to be known as. Notice that this would be the web site title inside VCD as nicely.
Within the display shot under, you’ll be able to see that you’ll want to reply every questions per line.
The migration device will gather the database info from the VCD database cell, add it to an S3 bucket, create the CDS occasion and import the database dump to the brand new occasion. You possibly can see within the display shot above on the final line within the backside pink field that it’s dumping the database from vcd-01a.corp.native to arrange to add it to an S3 bucket.
As soon as the database dump has accomplished, the script will add the recordsdata to an S3 bucket to be imported to create the CDS occasion. Within the display shot under, the highest pink field exhibits that the recordsdata had been collected, then efficiently uploaded. The underside pink field exhibits that VMware Cloud Director on prem equipment that’s being migrated is put into upkeep mode to keep away from modifications within the configuration between the migration and the CDS occasion coming on-line.
You need to now see the CDS occasion that was migrated with the title supplied in the course of the migration.